Preparing for Surgery
The following instructions may be helpful when preparing for your upcoming surgery. Please do not hesitate to call if you have any last minute questions. We can be reached at Summit Periodontics & Dental Implants, Summit NJ Office Phone Number 908-277-2224 during regular business hours.
What To Bring With You To Your Appointment
You should receive your pre/post-operative prescriptions with your instructions sheet. For your convenience, please have the prescriptions filled prior to your scheduled surgery, unless they have been previously phoned into the pharmacy of your choice. Please bring your filled prescriptions with you to your appointment.
If you have ever been told you need to premedicate with an antibiotic, please take it as directed before your surgery. If you have ever had a joint replaced or if you have certain heart conditions, you may need to premedicate. Please read the following information about antibiotics before surgery:
- Please alert the office to any allergies or sensitivities that you might have to antibiotics: Summit Periodontics & Dental Implants, Summit NJ Office Phone Number 908-277-2224.
- You will be prescribed an antibiotic if Dr. Maloney determines it to be necessary.
- Take as directed until gone.
- It is not advisable to take these medications on an empty stomach, as nausea may result.
- For women taking birth control pills, be advised that antibiotics may interfere with their effectiveness.
If you elect to use one of the following oral sedatives you must have a ride to and from the office. Please bring your remaining tablets with you. Remember, we encourage you to eat prior to your surgery.
- Ativan (Lorazepam)
- Valium (Diazepam)
- Triazalam (Halcion)
Recommendations for Your Comfort
You will feel better if you have eaten prior to surgery. We keep the office cool, so dress warmly.
In order to evaluate your progress and healing, we will see you for weekly post-operative checks during the first 1–5 weeks. In most cases, after surgery we will also look forward to seeing you back for a periodontal maintenance cleaning and an examination of tissue maturation about 10–12 weeks following the surgery.
Food Planning Suggestions
When preparing a post-op menu, please consider some of the following choices:
- Ensure/Slim Fast
- Apple Sauce
- Macaroni & Cheese
- Mashed Potatoes
- Milk Shakes
- Cottage Cheese