Find Periodontics Near Me Summit, NJ
Periodontics is a dental specialty that focuses on a disease that affects the gums and the other supporting structures of the teeth. Periodontists treat cases from mild gingivitis to complicated and severe gum disease. Patients who are looking to improve their gum health may benefit from periodontic services.
Periodontists offer a wide range of treatments designed to help improve your oral health. Periodontal treatment is available at Summit Periodontics & Dental Implants in Summit and the surrounding area. Call us at (908) 219-6664 to schedule an appointment.
What Can Periodontics do for My Health
Periodontics is the branch of dentistry focused on the structures surrounding and supporting the teeth. A periodontist specializes in diagnosing and treating diseases that affect those structures, particularly gum disease, along with the placement of dental implants. They are also trained in treating oral inflammation.
Periodontists receive an additional three years of education after dental school. As a result, patients who have more complicated cases benefit from their expertise. These treatments can range from deep cleanings to surgical procedures.
“Periodontics is the branch of dentistry focused on the structures surrounding and supporting the teeth.”
Benefits of Periodontal Treatment
The benefits of periodontal treatment can range from the enhanced appearance of the smile to improved oral and overall health. They include:
- Fresh breath
- Healthier gums, free from inflammation and disease
- Identification of other health problems
- Pain relief
- Improved smile
Periodontists help patients recover from periodontitis, which is also called gum disease. This serious gum infection damages the soft tissue. If left untreated, it can destroy the bone that supports the teeth. In addition, this complicated dental problem closely links to chronic diseases, such as diabetes.
These specialists can also help people restore their dental function through implant surgery. Due to their additional training focused on the gums and jaw, periodontists can perform the procedure effectively, increasing the likelihood of a successful procedure and reducing patients' risk of infection.
“The benefits of periodontal treatment can range from enhanced appearance to improved oral and overall health.”
Reasons to Find a Periodontist
While a general dentist can handle some periodontal needs, a periodontist is better equipped to handle complex, more moderate, or severe cases of gum disease. In fact, there is a link between gum disease and other chronic diseases. Thus, utilizing a specialist can be advantageous for both gum health and overall health.
Patients will want to seek out the services of a periodontist after exhibiting the following signs and symptoms:
- Sudden change in bite: Gum disease can cause the gums and bones around the teeth to weaken. A difference in a patient’s bite could be a sign of eroding gums.
- Bad breath: The odor associated with bad breath is generally caused by bacteria in and around the teeth. This bacteria is often the result of gum disease.
- Sore or bleeding gums: Healthy gums should not hurt to the touch or bleed easily. Sore and inflamed gums are two of the earliest signs of gum disease.
- Receding gums: Receding gums can expose the roots of the tooth, leading to increased sensitivity, leaving the teeth at higher risk for infection.
“While a general dentist can handle some periodontal needs, a periodontist is better equipped to handle complex, more moderate, or severe cases of gum disease.”
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Find Periodontics Near Me in Summit, NJ
Finding a Periodontist
When looking for a periodontist close by, patients have a few options. An online search for a "periodontist near me" or "perio near me" using a zip code will provide an initial list of names. Online reviews are often associated with each listing to help patients narrow down their search.
While a general dentist is a good resource for a referral to a periodontist, asking friends, family, and co-workers for suggestions also helps. The American Academy of Periodontology also offers an online search tool that lists licensed providers in a patient's network. This tool allows patients to see what is available in their local area.
“An online search for a “periodontist near me” or “perio near me” using a zip code will provide an initial list of names.”
Questions Answered on This Page
Q. What are the benefits of periodontal treatment?
Q. What are some reasons to visit a periodontist?
Q. How do I find a periodontist near me?
Q. What are some common periodontal treatments?
People Also Ask
Q. Why would I need a periodontist?
Q. What are the complications from ignoring preventative care?
Q. What is periodontics? Why is gum health important?
Q. What are the benefits of a root surface debridement?
Q. What does the scaling and root planing process entail?
Q. What types of gum medications are there? What medications get prescribed for certain gum conditions?
Common Periodontal Treatments
A periodontist offers common periodontal treatments. These procedures help to eliminate infection and improve the health of the teeth and gums. They include:
- Root planing and scaling: This deep cleaning process removes plaque and tartar below the gum line. Rough spots on teeth where bacteria accumulate also get smoothed out.
- Gum grafting: Gum recession can lead to exposed tooth roots. Gum graft surgery takes tissue from the mouth and attaches it to the area of concern, restoring the gum line.
- Pocket reduction: A pocket reduction involves the folding back of the gum tissue and removing disease-causing bacteria. The gum tissue is then secured back into place so it can better reattach to healthy bone.
- Bone graft: When the bone has gotten lost from severe gum disease, a bone graft helps stimulate new growth.
- Dental implants: An artificial tooth root gets placed into the jaw, connected to the jawbone. An artificial tooth is then attached to the implant.
“A periodontist offers common periodontal treatments.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What do periodontists do?
A. Periodontists specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of gum disease in addition to other specialized procedures such as dental implants. They can also treat and correct gum recession. In addition, periodontists often work with general dentists and patients to create a treatment plan to improve oral health.
Q. What is periodontal disease?
A. Periodontal disease is a severe gum infection that often results from advanced gum disease. Leaving the gums untreated for a long period of time allows bacteria to eat away at the gums and underlying bone. Untreated periodontal disease can lead to jawbone deterioration and tooth loss.
Q. What happens if I do not get my gum disease treated?
A. Gum disease is a progressive infection. Delaying treatment can cause further bone loss and the possible loss of your tooth. When left untreated, the infection can spread to other parts of your body, causing additional health issues.
Q. Could I need periodontal surgery?
A. Not everyone needs surgery. When caught and treated early, gum disease can get controlled with nonsurgical options. The periodontist will work to avoid surgery whenever possible.
Q. What can I do at home to prevent gum disease?
A. You can prevent gum disease by practicing good oral hygiene. Brush twice a day and floss regularly. Avoid the use of tobacco products and eat a healthy diet. Do not forget to see the dentist regularly for cleanings and checkups.
Start Feeling Better – Visit Us Today
By visiting us as soon as possible, our team can help get you the professional treatment you need. Instead of waiting around and allowing the symptoms to get worse, we can provide you with treatment options.
- Chronic periodontitis
- Chronic periodontitis is a common disease of the gums consisting of chronic inflammation of the periodontal tissues which is caused by the accumulation of large amounts of dental plaque.
- The branch of dentistry concerned with the structures surrounding and supporting the teeth.
- A dentist who specializes in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of periodontal disease, and in the placement of dental implants.
Learn More About Periodontics
If you have gingivitis or another type of gum disease, periodontal treatment can help. A healthy mouth is a vital part of a healthy life. Do not neglect your oral health. Call Summit Periodontics & Dental Implants at (908) 219-6664 to schedule an appointment.
Helpful Related Links
- American Academy of Periodontology (AAP). American Academy of Periodontology (AAP). 2023
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Periodontal Disease Page. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Periodontal Disease Page. 2023
- WebMD, What Is a Periodontist?. WebMD, What Is a Periodontist?. 2023
About our business and website security
- Summit Periodontics & Dental Implants was established in 2015.
- We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: Union County, Morris County and Essex County
- We serve patients from the following cities: Summit, Chatham, New Providence, Springfield Township, Maplewood, Berkeley Heights, Madison, Westfield, Millburn and Short Hills
- Norton Safe Web. View Details
- Trend Micro Site Safety Center. View Details
Back to top of Find Periodontics Near Me
What Does A Periodontist Do For Your Oral Health?
A dentist who specializes in the treatment, diagnosis and prevention of periodontal disease is called a periodontist. These people are trained on how to perform oral surgical procedures like the installation of implants.Periodontists spend an additional three years learning these things after completing dental school. They are familiar with all the latest techniques used to…
When Tooth Extraction With Dental Implants Is Recommended
If you are missing teeth, dental implants are an oral health solution with the look and function of natural teeth. Although it may seem contradictory, sometimes a dentist needs to extract a tooth before an implant is placed. There are numerous reasons why a tooth may need to be removed, but the overall goal is…
Welcome To Summit Periodontics & Dental Implants
Now more than ever, periodontal health is crucial. Gum health is vital to how you eat, speak, and feel about your smile. In addition, each year, we learn more about how closely linked the health of the gums is to the health of the entire body. This blog is part of our mission to pass…
Explore additional topics covered on our website:
Call Us Today
Scan here to call Summit Periodontics & Dental Implants on mobile